Back when I was freshly pregnant and still possessing enough energy to paint,
I tried out Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint. I chose this paint because it is fume free and green. Plus, I had been itching to give it a try because of it's amazing distressing capabilities.
The first piece I worked on was an old dresser that once belonged to my husband's great grandmother. I applied the milk paint directly on top of thick brown lacquer that was originally on the dresser. Since I was wanting to achieve a chipped/aged look, I did not use the bonding agent that Miss Mustard Seed sells.
As you can see, the paint randomly chipped off where it did not fully adhere. Working with this paint is much different than ASCP because you have little to no control where the distressing will occur. It's kindof nerve-racking and exciting at the same time!
The dresser was painted in Linen and waxed (by my hubby) with Annie Sloan's clear wax.
We think this piece would make a lovely changing table.
It's the perfect height and size. Plus, I am thrilled with how it turned out
and love the random chipping....
And then there is the next piece I painted.
Holy chipping Bat Man! This thing went nuts!
I picked up this solid oak antique dresser at a garage sale for $80.
I knew from the start that I wanted to leave the beautiful oak top untouched. Again, I used Linen milk paint with no bonding agent. Little did I know that this piece would have been a great candidate for the bonding agent... It is still chipping in my living room! It took a few weeks of looking at it to decided if I really like it or not. Verdict: We love it. It's just heavily distressed and needs to be vacuumed around a few times a week.
To protect this piece, I decided to try Miss Mustard Seed's Hemp Oil. I chose this because it is safe for me to use while prego and super easy to apply. You simply pour a little oil on a clean cotton cloth and rub it in. If I compare it to clear wax, it is not as durable and is best suited for very porous furniture.
Overall, I love using milk paint. It's a bit messy and nerve-racking but the natural distressing that occurs is gorgeous. To help the chipping along on both pieces, I used a plastic scraper and sanding block to flake off large cracks.
I hope to start feeling better soon and get back into my garage to try out my new color,